Representation. Results. Recovery.
Estate Planning Attorneys in Aurora
Helping Families Plan for the Future
Estate planning involves arranging your affairs to be handled by the people you want when you become unable to handle them yourself due to illness, incapacity, or death. It involves thinking about the future and having the right documents to help make sure your wishes are carried out rather than having the state make those decisions.
Our Aurora estate planning attorneys can help you prepare a plan for managing your property, choose a power of attorney, create wills and trusts, and make sure you have all other needed documents to manage your estate when the time comes.
Why Should I Hire An Estate Planning Lawyer?
You may be asking yourself- "Can't I just set up my will or estate without an attorney?" or "Is an estate attorney really necessary?" When it comes to planning or administering an estate or will, many people may think that it'll be easier (and cheaper) if they just handle the estate themselves. However, there are several reasons it's better to have a professional estate planning lawyer handle the process for you:
- If you need to go to probate court, having an attorney who has been through the process before can help you navigate the courts more quickly and without any mishaps
- If the estate involves particularly complex assets or division of said assets, it can be helpful to have an attorney to help oversee the process
- If the estate includes a business or other complex asset, it can be overwhelming to try and handle this type of estate on your own
- If you believe that the estate will owe considerable taxes or debts, an estate planning lawyer can help ensure that everything is accounted for and that nothing falls through the cracks
- If family members decide to contest the will, it can be helpful to have an attorney represent the estate and ensure that everything is handled in a legal and straightforward manner
What Our Southwest Missouri Estate Planning Lawyers Do
There are so many estate planning tools at your disposal. Pettit Law Office can help you take advantage of the ones that are best suited for you and your family. Our goal is to ensure a bright and promising future for your loved ones.
We handle estate planning matters including:
- Wills: A will is the most basic estate planning tool. Whether you create one or not, everyone has a will. The state has crafted one for you in the event you do not prepare one for yourself – to make sure it meets your needs, be sure to draft a will of your own.
- Durable powers of attorney: This is a document in which you name someone to handle your business matters if you can’t do so yourself.
- Living wills/healthcare directives: The most commonly prepared document is a durable power of attorney for health care or living will. These documents allow someone to make health-related decisions on your behalf if you cannot do so yourself.
- Beneficiary deeds: A beneficiary deed conveys an interest in real property to a grantee designated by the owner or owners of the property which expressly states that the deed is not to take effect until the death of the owner (or the last surviving owner).
- Warranty deeds: A deed containing one or more covenants of title.
- Non-probate transfers: Non-probate transfers include transfer on death designations made on titles, bank accounts, investment accounts, etc.
- Trusts: A trust can help protect assets and save taxes for people with substantial assets. A trust can be a cost-saving tool.
- Conservatorships: A conservator is a person or a corporation, such as a bank or trust company, appointed by a court to manage the property of a person who has been legally determined to be disabled.
- Guardianships: A guardian is a person who has been appointed by a court to be in charge of the care and custody of a minor or of an adult person who has been legally determined to be incapacitated.
- Special needs planning: Special needs require special considerations. Pettit Law Office can guide parents and guardians of children and adults through the ever-changing and complicated maze of special needs life planning.
Protect Your Legacy with Comprehensive Estate Planning
Planning for the future is an essential step in ensuring that your loved ones are taken care of and your assets are distributed according to your wishes. At Pettit Law Office, our experienced estate planning attorneys in Aurora are dedicated to helping families like yours create personalized estate plans that protect your legacy.
Here are some reasons why hiring an estate planning lawyer is crucial:
- Expertise and Guidance: Our estate planning lawyers have in-depth knowledge of the legal complexities involved in estate planning. We can guide you through the process, ensuring that your estate plan is tailored to your unique needs and objectives.
- Minimize Taxes and Expenses: With strategic estate planning, you can minimize the tax burden on your estate and reduce unnecessary expenses. Our attorneys can help you explore various strategies to maximize the value of your estate for your beneficiaries.
- Avoid Probate: Proper estate planning can help your loved ones avoid the lengthy and costly probate process. We can assist you in setting up trusts and other legal tools that allow for the smooth transfer of assets outside of probate.
- Protect Your Loved Ones: Estate planning is not just about distributing assets. It also involves appointing guardians for minor children, establishing healthcare directives, and creating a plan for long-term care. Our attorneys can help you address these important aspects to ensure your loved ones are protected.
- Peace of Mind: By working with our estate planning lawyers, you can have peace of mind knowing that your wishes will be carried out, and your loved ones will be taken care of after you're gone.
Committed to serving the local community in & out of court.
Spanish language option available for clients who need it.
Long track record of successful verdicts & settlements.
Lawyers & paralegals approach each case with compassion.
Direct access to the same attorney from start to finish.
Lawyers work closely with each client on a case-by-case basis.
Decades of injury law experience.
Southwestern Missouri Location in Aurora
All attorneys have trial experience & are prepared to go to trial.