Traffic Tickets

People often underestimate the effects of keeping a good driving record. Although the points, as a result of a ticket, rotate off your driving record after 3 years, a conviction stays on your record forever. What does this mean?

a. A poor driving record affects your ability to avoid points in the future.
b. Insurance rates are affected by a poor driving record.

The ultimate goal of hiring my office is to preserve your driving record. "Traffic tickets" includes speeding, failure to signal, failure to maintain lane, and other moving violations other than alcohol related offenses.

When you receive a ticket or a uniform citation from a law enforcement officer (city, municipal, county, or highway patrol), notify my office immediately. We will notify the Fine and Collection's center to dispute charges. If you simply mail in your ticket without hiring an attorney, you are pleading guilty and those charges go onto your record.

The following are the usual procedures my office takes when handling your traffic ticket.

Entry of appearance: My paralegal, Charlotte, will inform the court that I represent you in this matter and confirm our fee agreement in writing.

Resolution: During this stage, we are trying to resolve the charges. I will speak to the prosecuting attorney to negotiate your case.

Plea Agreement: In most instances, when a plea agreement is reached, the case can be "disposed of" in writing. If a plea agreement is reached, it is usually not necessary for you to personally appear in court (or in some cases a jury).

Bench Trial If a "plea agreement" is not reached, the option is for a bench trial. You always have a right to plead not guilty and have the prosecutor prove the charges at trial.

Court Costs and Fees: The client is responsible for all fines and court costs. For aggravated cases (poor driving record, an accident was involved, excessive speeding), the client should expect some community service or other forms of punishment to preserve their driving record.

Out of State Charges: In most cases, we are able to negotiate with the prosecutor in the jurisdiction where the ticket was issued. However, if a plea agreement cannot be reached, we will need to retain an attorney from that jurisdiction to complete the case. The client would be responsible for all attorney fees, court costs and any fines imposed.